- Public Notices
DRS teams have good week at state tourney
It was a good weekend for the Dakota-Rice-Scott Baseball League at the State Class C Amateur Baseball Tournament in Delano and Maple Lake.
All three DRS teams playing last weekend won their opening round game and will advance to the second round Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 23, 24 and 25. They will be joined by New Market, which as Region 3C champions had a first round bye.
St. Benedict opened the tournament with a 3-2 win over Owatonna Friday evening at Delano. On Sunday, New Prague had an 8-1 win over Springfield at Maple Lake and Union Hill defeated Fairfax 6-1 at Delano.
This weekend’s schedule finds DRS teams playing all three days. On Friday New Prague faces Plato at 5 p.m. in Delano. On Saturday, Union Hill faces Fergus Falls at 1:30 p.m. in Maple Lake and St. Benedict takes on Belle Plaine at 7:30 p.m. in Delano. New Market waits until Sunday to play its first tournament game, and they will take on Fairmont at 1:30 p.m. in Delano.
St. Benedict 3,
Playing in their first-ever state tournament, the St. Benedict Saints defeated Owatonna 3-2 to advance to the tournament’s second round.
Tanner Oakes allowed just four hits and one run to take the win. He struck out four batters and walked none.
The Saints got two hits each from Tyler Oakes and Andrew Huss, with Tyler Oakes getting a double and an RBI. Chris Hartman and Steve Weiers had the other RBIs for the Saints. Jeremy Heitkamp, Jacob Riesgraf, Scott Eischens, Nick Heitkamp, Brendan Heitkamp and Weiers had the other St. Benedict hits.
St. Benedict never trailed in the game, and scored two runs in the sixth to break a 1-1 tie and take the victory.
New Prague 8,
The New Prague Orioles had strong pitching from Dusty Beckius and draftee Ben Morrison of Prior Lake as they defeated Springfield 8-1 Sunday.
The Orioles jumped to a 3-0 lead, added a run in the fifth and gave themselves a solid cushion with four more in the eighth.
Justin Novak, Austin Bachman and Aaron Shetka were among the offensive stars for the Orioles. Bachman and Shetka had two hits each, while Novak had a hit and two walks and stole three bases. He also had two RBIs. Other Orioles getting hits were Dan Novak, Dan Ring, Jake Malz, Brok Schwarzkopf and Eric Wagner.
Beckius pitched five innings, allowing one run on four hits and striking out one to take the win. Morrison pitched four innings of relief, allowing just two hits and striking out two to earn the save.
Union Hill 6, Fairfax 1
Lefthander Daniel Feneis, who will be a senior at New Prague High School, pitched an outstanding game to lead the Bulldogs to a 6-1 win over Fairfax.
Feneis allowed just one hit through eight innings before giving up two hits, a hit batter and a run in the ninth. He struck out four and got the complete game win.
Feneis was aided by strong defense from his infielders, including shortstop Ben Trewartha and third baseman Jeff Dietz, who made outstanding plays to keep the Cardinals off the bases. Trewartha also added an RBI single.
Union Hill threatened every inning until finally capitalizing on a lead off hit in the fifth, a Fairfax error, and a walk. Adam Giesen singled up the middle to score a run, and loaded the bases. Adam Gill was hit by a pitch to bring in another run.
Matt Beckius led the Bulldogs with two hits, a leadoff double in the seventh and an RBI single in the ninth. The Bulldogs executed five sacrifice bunts to help move runners in scoring position. Defense, pitching and timely hitting were the keys for the Bulldogs.
Adam Giesen also had two hits for the Bulldogs, while Gill and Brad Weiers also had hits.
State Class C
First round results
• Clear Lake 6, Wilmont 3
• Green Isle 2, Sleepy Eye 1
• St. Benedict 3, Owatonna 2
• Avon 3, Richmond 0
• Fairmont 6, New Ulm Brewers 1
• Lastrup 3, Raymond 1
• Winsted 1, Blue Earth 0
• Bluffton 5, Hutchinson 3
• New Prague 8, Springfield 1
• Jordan 3, Spring Hill 2
• Midway 4, Upsala 1
• Maple Lake 10, Roseau 0
• Elrosa 6, Loretto 0
• Lake Crystal 3, Milroy Yankees 2
• Dumont 4, Brownton 3
• Union Hill 6, Fairfax 1
Second round games
• Clear Lake vs. Howard Lake, 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Maple Lake
• Green Isle vs. Morris, 11 a.m. Saturday at Maple Lake
• St. Benedict vs. Belle Plaine, 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Delano
• Avon vs. Cannon Falls, 5 p.m. Saturday at Maple Lake
• Fairmont vs. New Market, 1:30 p.m. Sunday at Delano
• Lastrup vs. Moorhead, 5 p.m. Sunday at Delano
• Winsted vs. Waseca, 11 a.m. Sunday at Waseca
• Bluffton vs. Lake Henry, 7:30 p.m. Sunday at Delano
• New Prague vs. Plato, 5 p.m. Friday at Delano
• Jordan vs. Bertha, 5 p.m. Friday at Maple Lake
• Midway vs. Luverne, 7:30 p.m. Friday at Delano
• Maple Lake vs. Watkins, 7:30 p.m. Friday at Maple Lake
• Elrosa vs. Sobieski, 5 p.m. Saturday at Delano
• Lake Crystal vs. Sartell Muskies, 11 a.m. Saturday at Delano
• Dumont vs. Lamberton, 1:30 p.m. Saturday at Delano
• Union Hill vs. Fergus Falls, 1:30 p.m. Saturday at Maple Lake